This week at The Pod’s Cookery Club we’ll be baking ‘Cheese and Pesto Whirls’. If you’d like to try these delicious teatime treats and cook along at home with an adult you can follow the recipe below.
Ingredients (suitable for vegetarians*)
320g puff pastry
1 tablespoon pesto
150g grated Cheddar cheese
Cherry tomatoes (cut into quarters)
1 teaspoon dried basil
Pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 egg yolk, for brushing
Plain flour, for dusting
*To ensure this is recipe is 100% vegetarian, be sure to check that the cheese has not used any animal rennet in production.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease an ovenproof baking tray
2. On a clean surface scatter some plain flour and roll out the puff pastry until it is 2.5cm thick
3. Spread the pesto thinly onto the pastry making sure you leave a 2.5cm margin all the way around. Then sprinkle the Cheddar, chopped cherry tomatoes, chilli flakes if using, dried basil and season with salt and pepper to taste (You can add any herbs you like)
4. Starting with one of the long sides of the rectangle roll the puff pastry like a Swiss roll making sure you paste the last 2.5cm with the egg, to seal
5. Once rolled, refrigerate the pastry for at 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the fridge and cut in to 1cm slices and place the slices on to the baking tray. Brush with egg
6. Bake in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown
7. Transfer to a wire rack until completely cooled
For meat eaters why not add some cooked chopped smoked ham, cooked chopped chicken or even some smoked salmon!
This makes filling a lunch box more interesting and tastier. For dinner add potato salad and coleslaw for a delicious summer meal.