The Pod Cookery Club returns this week and our first recipe is Spiced Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting!
Cupcakes are loved by kids and adults alike, and this recipe has a delicious mix of spices that will appeal to everyone. With mixed spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and citrus zest, these cakes really do pack a punch! The creamy frosting is the perfect accompaniment and they can be decorated as simply or extravagantly as desired. If you’d like to try and make these at home the recipe and method are below. Don’t forget to send us your pictures, we’d love to see any of your delicious bakes!
- 95g self raising flour
- 30g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g caster sugar
- Smarties or sprinkles
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only or 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla
- 1/2 orange zested
- 1 lime zested
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 175g low fat cream cheese
- Sift the flours and spices together through a fine sieve into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk or wooden spoon until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, orange zest and lime zest.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and gradually mix into the butter until fully incorporated.
- Using a spatula, fold in the flour and spices until fully incorporated. A little at a time, beat in the milk. Do not overwork the mix or the cakes will be stodgy.
- Line the holes of a 24 mould mini muffin tin with cupcake wrappers. Using a piping bag and plain nozzle, pipe the mix into the cupcake wrappers to 2/3 of the way up.
- Store the tin in the fridge for 20 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/gas mark 4.
- Place on a baking tray in the middle of the oven and cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until risen and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, use a wooden spoon or electric whisk to beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then, beat the cream cheese into the mix.
- Transfer to a piping bag with a plain nozzle – or a star nozzle if you have one. Place in the fridge to firm up slightly for 15-20 minutes.
- Decorate the cupcakes with the frosting. Add some Smarties or sprinkles and serve.