This week The Pod’s Cookery Club will be making a delicious Carrot Cake. If you’d like to bake along at home here’s the recipe. Don’t forget to let us know how you get on!
• 260g self-raising flour
• 65g caster sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 pinch salt
• 85g butter, chilled
• 1 tablespoon plain flour
• 150g blueberries
• 1 large egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 120ml double cream
• 1 egg, lightly beaten for glaze
• Strawberry or raspberry jam for spreading in the middle (optional)
• Fresh whipped cream or crème fraiche (optional)
Top Tip…..Cut dough into triangles for added ‘va-va voom’ rather than circles
Prep: 10 minutes › Cook: 20 minutes › Ready in: 30 minutes
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Grease a baking tray or line with baking parchment.
2. In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Mix blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour to avoid sticking. Fold into the butter mixture.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together 1 egg, vanilla extract and cream. Add to the dough and quickly mix together. Be careful not to crush the blueberries.
5. Divide the dough into 8 scones (you can make triangle shapes or traditional rounds) and place on the prepared baking tray. Leave a generous amount of space between the scones. Brush the scones with beaten egg.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes until the scones are golden. Place on a cooling rack to cool.
7. When cool cut in half and spread a generous layer of strawberry or raspberry jam. Then, add a big dollop of whipped cream (optional). Try crème fraiche for a healthier alternative.